Moot - Concept

Now that we're (un)officially post-Scrubs (Heh. I hate saying things like that), I think it's time for another quirky, realistic yet surrealistic, goofy yet dramatic, comedy. How I Met Your Mother seems to work well enough, but I understand that premise can be a little off-putting for some and, as much as I like it, it doesn't have the same momentum and flavor that Scrubs did. The character development is a little uneven and the B-stories sometimes don't add much to the overall mythos of the show (or maybe season 4's just been a little directionless).

There's also no good legal comedy shows on TV. Several years ago there was Ally McBeal, but I can't speak to the kind and quality of the show's comedy. I've never seen a full episode and I wasn't generally impressed by little I did see. It had a small following at least, but that's also only one legal comedy ever to be made in existence. And the law has a lot of funny things that happen with it. Law school can have a lot of funny things that happen with it. So, I thought up the concept for a legal comedy set in law school that I would call "Moot." It would follow five friends trying to find the balance between maintaining their social lives and their school work, as they deal with romantic relationships, class room pranks, class-standing competition, an unspoken war between full-time and part-time students, and their zany, yet brilliant teachers. We'd have the natural genius, the studious genius, the female character with something to prove, the cool socialite, and the unmotivated slacker all dealing with the various rivalries that amass between themselves and their other classmates. I even thought up an idea for a few professors: Prof. Hakenbach (the ranting and raving ex-marine turned former defense attorney, now criminal law professor) and Prof. McCoy (a swearing, whisky washing, role-playing southern litigator who teaches Civil Procedure). I think there's a lot of potential behind this concept without it being too cliche. But, then again if it is, I could always up the romantic quotient and call it "Courtly Love." I think I'd be afraid of all the teacher-on-student action that could come out of that, though.

1 Response to "Moot - Concept"

  • Anonymous Says:

    okay, i get it, but where is the new breath of fresh air? it is any other comedy, hidden with a law premise. What makes me want to watch this show more than House, Heroes or even Bones? What makes this show not a scrubs rip off?


Post a Comment